Empowerment Through Law of the Common People (ELCOP) is a voluntary, non-profitable, non-political, non-governmental human rights education, research and training organization dedicated to the common people of Bangladesh. ELCOP is embracing communities for democracy, justice and empowerment through action and participation.
ELCOP aims at achieving the following objectives:
- Provide people with specific legal information, making them conscious of their rights and duties;
- Improve understanding of basic norms and values underlying democracy in the society;
- Foster justice, tolerance, fairness and transparency in the society;
- Contribute effectively to bringing up the marginalized sections of our society and to their empowerment;
- Involve the students and the teachers of law in promoting legal awareness in order to impact the process of institutionalization of democracy.
The dominant feature of ELCOP is that it is administered and managed by the law students and teachers of different universities of Bangladesh. It also involves those legal experts in its activities who are concerned, have commitment and are competent enough to deal with human rights and empowerment issues.